Saturday, March 3, 2012

A SmartBoard Skeptic Raises Her Paddle


I have to say, I was something of a skeptic when SmartBoards entered the classrooms at St. Clare. I thought, what can they do that a white board, a VCR and a stack of National Geographics can’t do?

Then we started teaching Science Club in the 2nd grade classroom. And I realized that SmartBoards really change the way I teach for the better. It’s amazingly engaging to have the capacity to access Bill Nye or David Attenborough to make a point, or instantly show footage from the Mars Rover or an octopus camouflaging itself miles undersea. It’s also a really efficient way for all kinds of learners to access information, beyond a one-dimensional lecture or worksheet.

This year’s targeted paddle bid takes this SmartBoard technology to the next level, building upon the basic framework to keep our classroom learning dynamic and multisensory, pulling all kinds of learners into lessons in memorable and exciting ways.

The paddle bid is designed in three tiers:

* Level One adds media tables and document cameras to all existing classroom SmartBoards.
* Level Two adds a SmartBoard to the Art room (I can’t believe there isn’t one there already!) and sound bars to existing classroom set-ups.  (Trust me, they NEED those sounds bars! Those kids are really good about being quiet during video clips but come on.)
*Level 3 adds tablets for each SmartBoard with an app to control the SmartBoard, and the “many millions of other things that one could use it for with students,” as Mr. Irlbeck says. 

Used well, this technology will make learning richer and more accessible to all of our students. I can raise my paddle for that!
– Colleen O’Mahony

No comments:

Post a Comment